What better way to celebrate PRIDE than with rainbow bagels? Learn how to make fun and colourful bagels with this simple recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 3 cups all purpose flour, plus more to knead
- Approx. 1/4 cup oil
- Liquid food dye
- Toppings, such as poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dehydrated onion, etc. (optional)
- Measuring cups
- Spider (or colander, tongs, or chopsticks)
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl, mix your warm milk and sugar thoroughly.
- Add active dry yeast and stir. Let sit until foamy, about 3 minutes. Add salt, and sift in flour 1 cup at a time. Mix until a ragged dough forms. Lightly flour a flat surface, and knead dough until smooth and elastic. Divide dough into 6 pieces.
- Knead food colouring into each piece until you have 6 distinctly coloured pieces of dough. Gently roll them into roughly equal sized disks, and press together. Twist the dough to create a swirled look, and gently roll onto a thick rope, about the size of a rolling pin.
- Cut 6 equal portions, and using hands, roll into a round disk. Use fingers to poke out a hole in the centre. Repeat the process with all 6 pieces.
- In a big pot, bring at least 12 cups of salted water to a rolling boil. Drop bagels in, 2 at a time, for about 2 minutes, or until they puff up slightly and float on the surface. Remove and let dry.
- Gently brush bagels with thin layer of oil, and let rise about five minutes. If using toppings, sprinkle on top at this stage.
- Put bagels in the oven, and bake for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until bagels are golden on top, and sound hollow when tapped.
- Allow to cool before cutting and serving!